Thursday, January 17, 2008

Busted...

I have not been cataloging all of my struggles here as often as I was, mainly because it feels defeating to write about them day in and day out.

But if I could recap the last 4 months for you, they would be as follows: I have been freaking out about virtually everything. Money, family relationships, my ability to parent and homeschool, etc. and so on. And, I have been medicating myself heavily with junk food.

However, as we are transitioning our kids, I have been sticking with the program in front of them, and sneaking the junk food in the evenings after they are in bed. I know it's a bad situation, but it is the best I could come up with for now.

So, the other day, I am out for a little walk with my three kids and a woman comes out to the curb to pick up her garbage cans. She stops and looks hard at me and says, "Oh, hi!" "Hello." I say. Although she looks vaguely familiar, I don't know who she is. "I'm your Taco Bell drivethru lady," she explains, seeing the look on my face.

Good grief! How small is this town? How often have I been to Taco Bell? I don't have THAT memorable of a face, do I? Sheesh. It's like the universe was sending me a message.

"What does that mean, Mommy?" my five-year old innocently asked.

Turns out my kids don't even know what a drivethru is. Well, there, at least there's one thing I'm doing right.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

That is one freaky story. :) I can't believe she recognized you!

I hope it will make you feel slightly better to know that you are not alone in doing this - in 2005-6, DH and I "sneaked" A LOT of junk food behind our kids' backs. Our kids go to bed early (7pm-ish) so we'd always wait til they were in bed, heave a sigh of relief and order food or go out and get some.

In retrospect, we are REALLY glad we did it - I mean, not that we ate the junk, but that we DID do it sneakily, because although it is good to be truthful with your kids, it was really just better for their own transition to just believe we were all doing great at the same time! It would have been too confusing for them otherwise.

So don't feel too bad about it, k? It's just where you're at, and you're doing the BEST thing for your kids.

Although, you might want to start wearing sunglasses when you go to the drive-thrus. LOL! :)

(((hugs))) You are a great Mom.

Connie said...

That is toooo funny! :) hahaha!

Love ya'!
Connie

Sarah said...

I never could get away with anything either :) I'm sure you were shocked.

One day you'll look back and have a really good laugh. I envy the fact that your children don't know about drive-thrus. My son asks almost daily for take-out or something..."Please mommy!!!!" Sometimes I feel bad for depriving him, when I'm the one who got him addicted in the first place.

~Sarah

greenmama! said...

Thanks, fellow mamas! I appreciate your support. And yes, I did get a good laugh at this one.

:), Marjorie

Anonymous said...

Greenmama,
Thanks for sharing and being so real. You really love your children and it shows.

LOts of love,
Fruitloop

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

That's really funny. I can relate. I've had my own TB drive-thrus when it should have been a drive-BY!

It's a dang miracle that anybody's kids don't know what a drive-thru is. Good for you!!!

luba said...

It could be just my impression but I think you did better with your diet when you were writing in here almost every day. Don't think that your journaling is self defeating.
I am sure you felt better after you wrote your funny story. It helps you, it helps us.
You are doing great and you are very brave, Marjorie!
Love,
-Luba

greenmama! said...

Thanks everyone.

Luba, actually, I stopped doing well, and THEN I stopped blogging so often.

Writing the same boring annoying depressing garbage day in and day out will not help anyone and no one will want to read it! ;)

Writing is fun when I have something uplifting or enlightening to say.

Marjorie

luba said...

Well, my timeframe was wrong but I still hold on to my previous comment. After all you are doing the blogging firstly for yourself and secondly for everybody else.
I got attracted to your blog by your honesty and openness.
I really don't like to read blogs where everything is rosy all the time, the good read is when you have a little drama. Don't you think so? Not that I think you need more drama in your life, this is just how it happens in life.
Anyways, keep on blogging(for your own sake) and don't worry that nobody would ever read it. I will read it and other 811ers will do.
Sorry for the long rumble.
-Luba

Anonymous said...

Yes, please keep writing! I find it more annoying when people act like everything is perfect, and then you think something is wrong with you because you have ups and downs. I honestly thought that about this blog before---why does she just do this so easily, she really never had to struggle at all!? Progress is not linear, and that's good for people to see. We just want a happy ending, but there has to be drama in the middle :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, please keep writing! I find it more annoying when people act like everything is perfect, and then you think something is wrong with you because you have ups and downs. I honestly thought that about this blog before---why does she just do this so easily, she really never had to struggle at all!? Progress is not linear, and that's good for people to see. We just want a happy ending, but there has to be drama in the middle :)